We all know about nut allergies and seasonal allergies. These allergies plague countless people and can cause serious symptoms. However, there are many other common allergens of which you may not be aware. In fact, you might be allergic to something that you use every day without even knowing it. These five common allergens most likely exist in your household.
Most females start wearing earrings daily from a very young age. Because metals like gold and silver are so expensive, many women choose to buy cheap metal earrings that cost no more than a few dollars a pair.
Unfortunately, allergies to cheap metals are extremely common and can cause serious damage to the skin surrounding the pierced area. The condition can become so severe that the person develops a painful rash that spreads around the affected area.
Luckily, it’s not hard to find affordable earrings made of hypoallergenic materials. For hypoallergenic earrings, visit http://www.blomdahlusa.com/medplasear1.html.
The lotion that you rub all over your body each day can actually be doing more harm than good. Commercial lotions contain a wide variety of synthetic chemicals, making it highly likely that one ingredient will cause an allergic reaction. In fact, you can develop an allergy to an ingredient overnight after years of experiencing no trouble whatsoever.
If your lotion makes you break out in bumps or makes your skin feel itchy or irritated, it’s time to switch to another product.
For many people, snuggling up in a comfy wool sweater when the weather gets chilly simply isn’t an option. That’s because these people are allergic to lanolin, a substance that naturally exists in wool that is produced by sheep. For people with a lanolin allergy, a wool sweater can cause the skin to feel extremely itchy and irritated. In some instances, the wearer may even break out in hives.
If you have an allergy to lanolin, avoid wool clothing and blankets and check the labels on makeup and skincare products as lanolin is frequently used by cosmetics brands.
While many people experience undesirable symptoms after consuming a fair quantity of alcohol, some people actually experience serious allergic reactions after just one drink. Sulfites are found in many beers as well as red wine and are known to cause allergic reactions in many people. Those who are allergic to sulfites will experience symptoms like nasal congestion, dizziness and nausea.
Similarly, those who are allergic to gluten are often surprised to learn that beer contains a large amount of gluten. Luckily, more and more companies are creating gluten-free beers so that those with an allergy don’t have to give up their favorite drink.
Although it’s very rare, it is possible to be allergic to hair dye. Because almost every hair dye uses the same chemicals, those with an allergy to these chemicals should avoid dyeing their hair altogether. Symptoms can include severe swelling of the skin and painful scalp irritation.
If you suspect that a popular household ingredient is wreaking havoc on your health by causing an allergic reaction, contact a medical professional to determine whether or not you have an allergy.